Roman mosaic, Apollonic
(Click on image for high-quality PDF version)
The Apollonic version does not have interlacing, shown here.
- The symmetry group of the tiling is *442 (p4m).
- All the internal angles of the constituent polygons are a multiple of 90°.
- Contains two squares.
- There is one non-regular reflective tile.
- The tiling satisfies the interlace condition and has one finite interlace and no infinite interlace with straight cross-overs.
- The tiling is edge-to-edge.
- As drawn, contains about 56 polygons.
- A.9-1913 (Granada, Spain) from [vami] (1333-54AD, 733-55AH)
- C.130A-1981 (Bristol, England) from [vami] (1750-70AD, 1163-84AH)
- C.152-1965 (Vauxhall, England) from [vami] (1750-70AD, 1163-84AH)
- Figure D 21c (Frame Border Grille, Yuan-yeh, Soochow, Kiangsu, 1635 AD) from [dye]
- Page 147, Figure 16.12a (Style taken from here with black/white inverted) from [stevens]
- Page 9 (top) from [cahier]
- Pl 133 (a) (Apollonic) from [balmelle]
- Plate 16 from [racinet]