Ulugh Beg Madrasah, Samarkand
(Click on image for high-quality PDF version)
- Gold star pattern(photo).
Dynamic build of this pattern.
- The symmetry group of the tiling is *442 (p4m).
- All the internal angles of the constituent polygons are a multiple of 7.5°.
- Contains one regular 8-pointed star polygon with vertex angle of 112.5°.
- Contains one regular 12-pointed star polygon with vertex angle of 97.5°.
- There are 6 non-regular reflective tiles (including 2 kites).
- The tiling satisfies the interlace condition and has no finite interlace and one infinite interlace with straight cross-overs.
- The tiling is edge-to-edge.
- As drawn, contains about 349 polygons.
- Page 445, Fig. 380b (Bab Antakeya, Aleppo, Syria) from [bonner] (1245-7AD, 642-4AH)
- Figure 138 (Friday mosque, Yazd, Iran. Faience mosaic) from [wilber] (1300-40AD, 699-740AH)
- Figure 149-1 (Bibi-Khanym, Samarkand, Central Asia) from [rempel] (1401AD, 803AH)
- Figures 39 and 58 (Bibi-Khanym, Samarkand, Central Asia) from [hill] (1404AD, 806AH)
- Photo from Donald Bell, Slide 110 (Ulugh Beg madrasah, Samarkand, Central Asia. 5-pointed stars not regular) from [pc] (1420AD, 823AH)
- Vol IV, Plate 423 (Balkh, shrine of Khwaja abu Nasr Parsa, Afghanistan, Central Asia) from [pope2]