Samarkand Registan Square
(Click on image for high-quality PDF version)
- The symmetry group of the tiling is 2*22 (cmm).
- All the internal angles of the constituent polygons are a multiple of 36°.
- Contains three regular five-pointed star polygons with vertex angle of 72°.
- Contains one regular 10-pointed star polygon with vertex angle of 108°.
- There are three non-regular reflective tiles (including one kite).
- The tiling satisfies the interlace condition and has no finite interlace and three infinite interlaces with straight cross-overs.
- The tiling is edge-to-edge.
- As drawn, contains about 209 polygons.
- Photo by David Wade: TRA 0411/0335 (Shir Dar madrasah, Samarkand, Central Asia) from [wadei] (1636AD, 1045AH)
- Photo by David Wade: TRA 0417 (Tillya-Kari Madrasah, Samarkand, Central Asia) from [wadei] (1660AD, 1070AH)
- Figure 22 (Central Asia. Common ornament to this area, ten-fold motifs of Type III) from [lee]
- Flickr photo (Kok Gumbaz Mosque and Dorut Tilyovat Complex, Shakhrisabz, Central Asia) from [pc]
- Photograph by Donald Bell (Registan Square, Samarkand, Central Asia) from [pc]