Bourgoin, Plate 42
(Click on image for high-quality PDF version)
In its simplest form this pattern is widespread all over Islam. In the Alhambra it occurs in variously elaborated forms: in the Mirador de Lindaraja, in which some of the khatems are replaced with curvilinear multifoil shapes, and in the Sala de los Reyes, in which some of the 4-fold stars are replaced by 8-pointed stars.
- The symmetry group of the tiling is *442 (p4m).
- All the internal angles of the constituent polygons are a multiple of 45°.
- Contains one regular four-pointed star polygon with vertex angle of 45°.
- Contains one regular 8-pointed star polygon with vertex angle of 90°.
- There are two non-regular reflective tiles (including one kite).
- The tiling satisfies the interlace condition and has no finite interlace and two infinite interlaces with straight cross-overs.
- The tiling is edge-to-edge.
- As drawn, contains about 236 polygons.
- Photo by David Wade: SPA 1009 (Alhambra, Mirador de Lindaraja, Spain) from [wadei] (1232-1417AD, 629-820AH)
- Figure 52 (Qalawun, Cairo, Egypt) from [hill] (1284-5AD, 682-3AH)
- Page 41 (Bab al-Nasr, Cairo, Egypt. Bronze decoration on the door of a small mosque by the gate) from [hessemer] (1284-5AD, 682-3AH)
- Photo by Ayman Soliman (Qalawun, Cairo, Egypt. El.Muiz Le Din Allah Street) from [pc] (1284-5AD, 682-3AH)
- Photo by David Wade: EGY 0909 (al-Azhar mosque, Cairo, Egypt) from [wadei] (1474AD, 878AH)
- Part I (Fatehpur Sikri, Salim Chishti's Tomb, India) from [smith2] (1581AD, 989AH)
- Flickr photo (Tash-Hauli (Tosh-Hovli) Palace, Itchan Kala, Uzbekistan, Central Asia) from [pc] (1830-9AD, 1246-55AH)
- E.3840:72-1938 (Cairo, Egypt. Sketchbook by James Wild) from [vami]
- E.3843:121-1938 (Cairo, Egypt. Sketchbook by James Wild) from [vami]
- Fig 7.1b, Fig 9.1 photo and 9.4a from [ww]
- Figure 28 from [elsaid]
- Page 27 (Great Mosque, Cordova, Spain) from [broug]
- Page 50 from [wade]
- Photo by David Wade: IRA 1305 (Aramgagh-e-Babar Qasem, Isfahan, Iran) from [wadei]
- Photo by David Wade: SPA 1902 (Alhambra, Mirador de Lindaraja, Spain) from [wadei]
- Plate 42 from [bourgoin]
- Plate LVI (Alhambra, Salon de Comares, Spain. Mosaic in Dado (incorrect)) from [murphy]
- Plate XLIII(14) (Colours based on this) from [jones]
- Similar to Page 44 from [cahier]
- Vol 1, pages 258 and 353, Vol 2 page 87 (Dar Beida, Marrakesh, Morocco. Drawing by maalleem Mulay Hamed) from [paccard]
Collections of similar tilings